Monday, June 15, 2015

"Why Mahatma Gandhi?"


I'm still amaze on how Mahatma Gandhi discovers himself as a person and freeing India from the British rule. To summed up Mahatma Gandhi life's, he was born in 2 October 1869, he got married when he was only 13 years (a fate decided by his family), matriculated in the year 1887, studied law in England and became a barrister, moved to South Africa to practice law but was discriminated because of his skin color yet he was defiance and he played an important role in helping the blacks gained the right to vote, came back to India and the rest is history.

Boring? I can understand however I can assure you that Mahatma Gandhi is a very interesting character and personality. I have let you know in advance that this blog is not about his biography or about the politics during those days. Maybe, it will only take 3-4 minutes of your time to read this blog but I'll ensure that it is worth your time.

I find it very incomprehensible to see that our today's generation hardly considers Mahatma Gandhi as role model. Try asking anyone starting from senior high school students to university students. If I'm not wrong, most of the students will consider, the Ambanis brother, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs, etc., as their role models. It's not that these people are bad role models, and in fact, I don't have a say with anyone choice. However, if the reasons for not considering Mahatma Gandhi as role model are the following 3 pointers below then I'll explain why it is worth reconsidering.

1. Mahatma Gandhi sounds too ancient/old and seemed very conservative to be a role model.
2. Gandhism is totally in contrast with our present day popular culture.
3. How can I consider Mahatma Gandhi as role model when I'd never offer my other cheek if anyone has slapped me?

In my opinion, Mahatma Gandhi stands above all the other renowned leaders when it comes to progressiveness and future. In fact, in the year 1921, Gandhi led nationwide campaigns for expanding women's rights, building religious and ethnic amity and ending untouchability. Campaigning for women's right in 1921 in India! Can you believe it? His campaigns during those days defied all logic and our conservative culture. Mahatma Gandhi generation may be old but "India" as we see and live today is the result of what he envisioned for us at that time. Literally, Mahatma Gandhi was very futuristic and progressive minus iDevices, Twitter, Facebook, etc... :)

Well, you got to look in two ways, i.e., Gandhism and his personality differently. If you consider Gandhism as role model, obviously, it is tough and undoubtedly clash with our present day's popular culture. And of course, nobody would want to be the odd one (though I'd still prefer Gandhism). Anyway, Mahatma Gandhi personality is the role model. In short, Mahatma Gandhi was simple, remains true to himself, grounded, and many other good qualities which will take years for me to complete this blog... :) It is either the Gandhism or the personality of Mahatma Gandhi for role model.

This is the hardest part; and frankly, I even don't know how I will react if anyone slap me. But I willing to risk myself and find it out for myself. The truth is "if there is no risk, there is no reward."

Food for Though: "Nobody can hurt me without my permission." Mahatma Gandhi.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment