Monday, March 02, 2015

"Review on Manchester United performance V/S Sunderland, 2-0, 28 Feb 2015"

It has been a while since I wrote my first blog and deleted it. The other night I was writing a comment on Daily Mail online Football section which I've been following since 2013. My brother saw my comment I posted on the Manchester United game versus Sunderland. He asked me, "Why don't you start writing blog?". I said to him, it is just a hobby that I enjoyed writing after every United game. However he countered me back and said, if writing comment on Daily Mail online is your hobby, "why not write it again on the blog and share it?” I thought it can be a good idea, and here am I. 

I'll start with the match between Manchester United and Sunderland played on 28 February 2015. I enjoyed the match that night watching from my Samsung TV [it is not LCD.. ]. Anyway, about the match, I would say that this was the better performance from United in 2015. I was more impressed with Chris Smalling performance although Rooney took the limelight with his two goals. De Gea as always proved he is one of the most United player this season. His save in the early fist half was really good although Sunderland attacks don’t trouble him much after the save. With Persie injured, Falcao started the match and proved that he is still trying to regain his old scoring form. Sadly, no goal from him but his well timed control of the ball to create chance of scoring and winning us the penalty in 2nd half was the game changing moment. Rooney scored from the spot and it was a good spot kick. In the build up to the penalty, it was unfortunate that Sunderland Wes Brown was sent off by the referee instead of John O'Shea.

Coming back to Smalling performance, my rating for him will be 9/10. If he had scored, it would have been perfect. I guess he gave the best performance in his career with Utd. If he stays fit and remain consistent with his performance, I doubt Ed Woodward would shop for defender in the upcoming summer window. But still, we may need one established centre back to replace Johny Evans. I don't have any personal grudge against Evans but he is a calamity waiting to happen. And his performance in the match appears to justify the 'calamity' tag. He is clearly in-confidence and hence the dozen of back passes to De Gea. If United receive bid from other clubs in the range of £ 1-3 millions, it will be like winning a jackpot. He is just not the type of defender United can rely week in and out.

Angel Di Maria was substituted with Januzaj after the end of first half. I'm felt sorry for Angel but it was a right decision from Van Gaal. He is not the same Angel with the high standard he set for himself in the start of the season. And with Liverpool lurking behind us in the Table, I hope he regain his form very soon. Januzaj has a good game and I'm happy the decision to bring him on was justified. Although Januzaj was selfish at times but his ability to penetrate Sunderland defense speak volumes of his talent. I hope he will make more assist in upcoming matches. Valencia and Rojo, both of them has a good game playing as right back and left back respectively. They both were efficient going forward as well as tracking back.

Ashley Young is clearly the star player for United this season. He is in great form and I'm very happy for him. I was also one of those fans who criticized him badly during his career start with United. He has proved his worth as well as Sir Alex trusts in his ability. But kudos to Van Gaal in helping Young brings out his best form for the team. He did well in the match and there were couple of good long range shots only to miss the net. The midfield duo of Herrera and Blind was pretty good. We had the majority of the ball possession and both of them were good with the distribution. I expect Herrera to create more through ball assist with his creativity in the upcoming matches. Fellaini was brought on for Falcao. With Sunderland already playing with 10 men, he did not make much impact in the match. But still then, he is very important player for United in order to qualify for Champion league spot.

Last but not the least, the formation of 4-4-2 is the only formation where United can play their best attacking football. I can understand Van Gaal preference but since we are fighting for the Champions League spot and it is getting trickier with Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottemham and Southamptom also in the race. I'd rather go for this 4-4-2 formation where he can get the best form from his players and get the results. Of course, his philosophy does matter but a club like Manchester United is not easy to tame. It is like a wild horse where you have to be patient and astute. And to let it go by itself making sure it does not go astray. I'm sure by next season we will be contender for the title once again. And if I were him, I would not want to become the enemy of Old Trafford crowds.

The upcoming Manchester United match is on 5 March 2015(01:15 AM IST, Thursday) against Newcastle at St. James' Park.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment