Sunday, March 29, 2015

"The Candle Light"

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.” Confucius.

Good evening!

It has been a very cool Sunday after a succession of warm weather since last week. I’m very blessed to be home listening to good music the entire afternoon after I had my breakfast. It is damn right to read good books in order to inspire ourselves every day, and books are bag full of knowledge. Presently, I really like to read the book “The Narrow Road to the Deep North: A novel” by Richard Flanagan. Unfortunately, the book was not available in Kwench, an online library partner of AonHewitt.

Anyway, I have requested another book “The Longest Ride” by Nicholas Sparks. I hope to get the book in the next few days. Nicholas Sparks is also one of my favorite authors and I really enjoy reading his novels. It necessarily doesn't mean I prefer girly novels; it is just that I also enjoy a good romantic novel.

I can still remember the whole night I spend on reading the book “Angels and Demons” by Dan Brown with a candle light in Hostel. It just gives me a smile on my face recalling that very night. In hostel, the light goes off after 10:00 PM and every one must go to sleep according to our hostel rule. At around 10:15 PM, our warden Fr. P.O. Sebastian will check in every room if every one of us are there and are asleep. Meanwhile, I have nearly reach the middle section of the book when the light was put off, and I have already map out a plan for the night that I will complete the book by early morning. I already bought three long candles and a matchstick. After the light was turn off, as usual I can hear the sound of Fr. Sebastian “Oxford shoe” approaching towards my room, and he enters and believes everything is fine in here and soon left.

Around 11:00 PM, when I was pretty sure Fr. Sebastian has checked all the rooms and asleep in his quarter. I lit up my candle and starts reading the book from the page I left. The interesting part of the book is that it plays with me like hide and seeks to get me turning the page one after another. Sometimes it even teases me to decide how the story will end but only to realize I'm not the one who wrote the book and I wasn't able decide the ending till I completed in the early morning. The ending was kind of unimaginable as well as very shocking and I really enjoyed the book.

I believed the Christian backdrop and the terms used in the book is to make the story more thrilling and provoking however it doesn't meant any insults or disrespect to Christian community. Only those who read the book completely knows the book is not offensive or meant any disrespected to Christian’s followers around the world. Whereas few people read some excerpts from the book and gave a conclusion the book is offensive and disrespect to Global Christian’s community. Also, I always believed if your faith in God is strong, there is nothing in the world that can stop you from believing in Him.

It is always the same for those who create a different version of story out of one or two statements. The headlines in major newspaper as well as in online news are rather attention-grabber. As a result, the same people who have not read the whole news article or content simply concludes with their own version of story as per the headlines. This practice is the hindsight we tend to forgo, and thereby creating chaos in our modern society. Therefore, it is always good to read the whole article or content of the headlines which has grabbed our attention especially and decide the conclusion by our self with clarity and the facts reported. Or else, we can just leave the conclusion of the news headline or any statements to those who have read the whole content completely. After all, we must not forget that our world is very diverse in culture as well as in language. And it is always good to have right amount of knowledge rather than be an ignorant joining the company of fools.

According to Denis Diderot, French philosopher during the 18th century, he said, “There are three principal means of acquiring knowledge... observation of nature, reflection, and experimentation. Observation collects facts; reflection combines them; experimentation verifies the result of that combination.” If we can also apply his method in our everyday life, I'm sure the world will be a better place for us to co-exist as one. Instead most of us busy only with the experimentation without observation and reflection. In the end, we have to bear the inevitable chaos in our society we could have prevented.

Food for Thought: “A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers.” Plato.

Thank you. Have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment